|Fact or Fiction? Man mixes matches, gasoline; auto burns|
|Written by Holyoke Enterprise|
|Tuesday, 22 November 2011 15:11|
These stories from local history are sometimes so extraordinary it’s hard to believe they actually happened, but they’re actual Enterprise news clips reprinted from the past.
Frank Ramsey, an efficient auctioneer and erstwhile curbstone pugilist, had an experience Saturday night that has made him a sadder but much wiser young man.
Frank, by nature, is quite an inquisitive lad and somewhat of an experimenter. On Saturday night he drove to the front entrance of Waln Brothers garage to get some gasoline for his Ford. Not knowing how much was in the tank, he raised the cushion, screwed off the cap, struck a match and peered in.
He is slightly near-sighted, especially at night, so he inserted a match through the opening in the top so as to get a better view of its contents. All at once a loud explosion was heard, and the badly treated Ford was soon in flames and on the road to—well, to the same place Frank is going if he doesn’t soon change his ways.
The flames were soon gotten under control by use of fire extinguishers and a bucket brigade, and the damage only amounted to a few thousand dollars, except to Frank, whose eyebrows and pompadour are slightly damaged.
Holyoke Enterprise November 24, 2011