Weather Forecast

Find more about Weather in Holyoke, CO
Click for weather forecast
July 1 is last day for correcting RRWCD-imposed water use fees PDF Print E-mail
Written by Holyoke Enterprise   
    Water use fees imposed by the Republican River Water Conservation District Water Activity Enterprise on the diversion of ground water for irrigation use are collected by the county treasurers. If the assessed irrigated acres on which the fee is based are incorrect, a correction may be authorized by the following procedure:
    1. The process begins at the office of the county assessor. The well owner must submit copies of FSA 578 cropping records (including maps) for the last two years of crop production to verify the number of acres that should be assessed as irrigated.
    When a change to the assessed irrigated acres is requested, some counties require copies of FSA 578 cropping records for ALL land owned in that county by the well owner, so the well owner should contact the assessor for clarification before submitting copies of the records.
    2. If the county assessor determines that an increase or decrease in the number of assessed irrigated acres is justified, the assessor notifies the RRWCD of the request for a change to the water use fee and provides the necessary documentation to the RRWCD staff.
    3. The RRWCD confirms the assessor’s adjustment and then notifies the county treasurer to amend the RRWCD Water Use Fee List.
    If the property taxes and the water use fees have not been paid, the county treasurer will normally issue an amended property tax/fee notice to collect the increase in water use fees or abate the decrease in water use fees.
    If the property taxes and the water use fees have already been collected and an increase is necessary, the treasurer will issue a new property tax/fee notice for the increased water use fees.
    If the property taxes and the water use fees have already been collected and a decrease is necessary, a refund check will be issued to the well owner by the RRWCD WAE for the difference in the water use fees.
    The deadline for accepting requests for abatements or refunds of water use fees is July 1st of the year following the year in question. For further information, contact Stan Murphy, 410 Main Street, Suite 8, Wray, CO 80758; phone 970-332-3552, or e-mail This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .