Weather Forecast

Find more about Weather in Holyoke, CO
Click for weather forecast
City Code Chatter (CCC) — Watch where you park that rig PDF Print E-mail
Written by Chris Lee   

Parking and zoning come as the topics for this week’s City Code Chatter.

City code enforcement officer Dawn Archibeque said zoning ordinances in Holyoke don’t allow operators of “trucks” or 18-wheelers to park along city streets or alleys.

A truck is defined as a vehicle whose length is 25 feet or more or with a gross weight of 12,000 pounds or more. Vehicles known as 18-wheelers, big rigs or tractor trailers all fall under this category. RV campers are also considered trucks.

Archibeque said there are places in town sectioned off for such vehicles to park. The portion of E. Emerson Street east of Worley Street near Shekinah Storage is a part of town where trucks are allowed to park. Trucks are allowed to park on the south side of the street because that section falls under the A-O or agricultural and open district section of the ordinance. Another A-0 section is near the Grainland Co-op, heading west out of town on Denver Street near the train tracks.

“We have a lot of individuals in town who are truck drivers,” Archibeque said. “It makes it difficult for them because they can’t pull their rigs up to their houses at night.”

Archibeque said anything parked in an area for more than four hours will receive a notice asking the truck to be moved.

She said she knows drivers want to come through town, stop and get something to eat, pick up clothes, take a shower and then get back out on the road. Anything lasting two or three hours she will be flexible as long as it isn’t close to the school or along or close to the two highways running through town.

Different zones

The City of Holyoke has different zones, according to Archibeque. Trucks are only allowed to park in certain zones. R-E is defined as a one-family or two-family residence district, R-1 is also a one-family or two-family residence district, R-2 is a multiple-family residence district, C-1 is a business district, C-2 is classified as a commercial district, an I-1 is an industrial district and an A-O is a agricultural and open district.

There is no parking in a commercial zone or C-2 zone unless that particular business is zoned for trucking. Archibeque gave the example of Scholl Oil & Transportation Company.

“If people need a zoning map, I can have maps available for people,” Archibeque said.

Large campers also qualify as a truck. If a family is getting ready for a vacation and needs to park a camper on the street over night, Archibeque asks she be notified. She said this is the best way to keep it from being tagged.

Trailer issues

Another issue Archibeque says she sees on a regular basis are trailers. Anything from an average tractor trailer down to the old pickup box that was converted into a grass clipping trailer are considered trailers. Detached trailers aren’t allowed to be parked on the streets within the city limits.

Construction is the one exception, Archibeque said. If someone is remodeling or doing construction, trailers are allowed to be parked on the street during the construction process. If a trailer is unmarked, Archibeque requests she be made aware the trailer is being used for construction. Once the construction is finished the trailer needs to be moved.

Archibeque also stressed all trailers must have up to date plates and tags once they hit the street.

Another thing she would like people to remember is to always park on the right side of the street depending on direction of travel.

Anyone with questions regarding city ordinances or rules may contact Archibeque at the Police Department. Messages can be left for her at 854-2342 or her voice mail at the Comm Center at 854-2244.

Issues concerning bindweed are to be addressed in the next CCC article on July 16.

Those interested in seeing a code discussed or explored in future CCC articles should contact the Enterprise office at 854-2811.