Weather Forecast

Find more about Weather in Holyoke, CO
Click for weather forecast

Mason Jones - January 08, 2009

Manson “Lynn” Jones died Thursday, Jan. 8, 2009, in St. Francis, Kan., at the age of 78. He was born in Goodland, Kan. to James Wayne and Zoe (Boyd) Jones on Dec. 19, 1930.
He attended his first two years of school in Edson, Kan. and finished his education in Goodland. After graduating from high school in 1948, he worked for the Sherman County Road Department and also farmed for his uncle, Allen Jones.
Manson was drafted into the Marine Corps in 1951 and attended boot camp in San Diego, Calif. After a brief visit home for Christmas, he was assigned to the 1st Marine Division and was sent to Korea in May 1952. During August of 1952 while positioned on the main line of the resistance manning Bunker Hill Outpost, the Fox Company was overrun by Chinese and North Koreans, resulting in the deaths and wounding of several marines including Manson.
From the field hospital, Manson was sent by helicopter to a Swedish hospital ship and transported to a hospital in Japan and later sent to the naval hospital at Mare Island, Calif. His next stop was Millington, Tenn., where he spent eight months in the Millington Naval Hospital.
After finishing his recuperation at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Denver, Manson returned to Goodland in July 1953 where he resumed working for his uncle and the Sherman County Road Department.
In 1955, Manson moved to Ft. Collins, where he attended Colorado State University. In 1960, he graduated with a degree in avian science.
On Dec. 23, 1960, Manson married Bonnie (Klie) Westphal in Ft. Collins, where Bonnie continued to teach school while Manson continued running the feed mill and assisting with research for the university’s Avian Science Department.
In 1967, Manson and Bonnie moved to Parkers Prairie, Minn. to farm and run their dairy full time. In 1972, they moved to St. Francis to be closer to family and bought the Leonard Miller place west of St. Francis. In 1995, he retired and moved into St. Francis.
Manson was a devoted and steadfast family man who considered family and friends to be his greatest treasure and each one knew they had a special place in his heart. He was a gentle and gracious soul known for his generosity, kind heart and wry sense of humor. Manson could always be counted on for a helping hand and a good joke.
Manson was preceded in death by his parents James and Zoe Jones; parents-in-law G. Wilmot and Gladys Klie; grandsons Hank Kier and Tyler Jones; and great-grandson Gus Manson Neitzel.
Manson is survived by his wife Bonnie; their four children Lynne Ferguson and husband Chuck of Holyoke, Leslie Carlholm and husband Randy of Imperial, Neb., Allen Jones and wife Sherry of St. Francis, Kan. and Lacy Reed and husband Mike of St. Francis, Kan.; sister Marilyn Zeigner and husband, Vern of Green Valley, Ariz.; 17 grandchildren, Lowell Neitzel and wife Krystale of Lawrence, Kan., Lindsey Rae Goddard and husband Casey of Haxtun, Holly Ferguson of Las Vegas, Nev., Paige Ferguson of Thornton, Rick Carlholm of North Platte, Neb., Lindsay Avis Ferguson of Denver, Amanda Barnhart and husband Jason of Brighton, Matt Carlholm of Goodland, Kan., Talon Jones, Trevor Reed, Echo Jones and Dallas Reed of St. Francis, Kan., Debbie Gabrielson and Darin Ferguson of California and Chris Reed, Travis Reed and Jamie Reed-Belden of Greeley; 15 great-grandchildren Cassidy and Chase Goddard of Haxtun, Cecelia and Carman Dearmont of North Platte, Neb., Tuff Neitzel of Lawrence, Kan., Nick Ferguson of United Kingdom; Ashlee, Sloan, Skylar and Matthew Gabrielson and Jessica Ferguson of California, Clayton and Cassidy Reed, Peyton and Cade Belden of Colorado.
Funeral services were held Jan. 12 at the United Methodist Church in St. Francis, Kan., with Rev. Morita Truman officiating.
Honorary escorts were Randy Carlholm, Mike Reed, Chuck Ferguson, Mike Henderson, Mark Mahlberg, John Mahlberg, Alvin Amack and Royce Wiley.
A military service was conducted by the United States Marine Corps.
Arrangements were by Knodel Funeral Home of St. Francis, Kan.