Article Image Alt Text

The Nuñez family’s basement is pictured in the aftermath of the May 4 fire. — The Holyoke Enterprise | Johnson Publications

Basement blaze is close call for Nuñezes

    Albino Nuñez and his family are safe following the May 4 fire that claimed their basement and caused significant smoke damage to the rest of their home.
    None of the family was present during the fire, which Nuñez believes was started by a malfunctioning overhead light.
    Holyoke Volunteer Fire Department was called out to the East Furry Street home at 9:37 a.m., Phillips County Emergency Manager Bob Heldenbrand said. When firefighters arrived, they found the Nuñezes’ basement completely engulfed in flames.
    Given the extent of the fire, Heldenbrand said it was remarkable that the house was saved at all.

The full article is available in our e-Edition. Click here to subscribe.

Holyoke Enterprise

970-854-2811 (Phone)
970-854-2232 (Fax)

130 N Interocean Ave
PO Box 297
Holyoke CO 80734