Article Image Alt Text

Big Brick Drug Store was built in 1907, when LeBlanc & Scheunemann and Dr. F.M. Smith purchased vacant lots on the east side of Interocean Avenue to build a new brick building. Smith came to Holyoke in 1887 and was the first practicing physician in the county and operated the drug store with his son Myron until his retirement about a year and a half before his death in 1931. An article in the State Herald from 1917 states, “The Smith Pharmacy in Holyoke, in addition to supplying drugs and medicines, takes the place of a public library, ice cream parlor, news depot, rest room and cigar store, and its stocks in all departments are full beyond the requirements of the trade.” It included a large salesroom, laboratory, glass room, furnace room with capacity for a carload of coal, wall paper room, stock warerooms, large basement, and ice cream house in the rear and may have housed the post office sometime in the early 1900s. — Source: Phillips County Museum

Peekin’ into the past

Five Years Ago — May 22, 2014
    Tuesday, May 13, Gov. John Hickenlooper appointed Kimbra Killin to the Phillips County Court bench. She is filling a vacancy due to the resignation of the Honorable David O. Colver, effective May 30.
    The beginning of June will mark the end of 50 years in the television repair business for Bill Schiermeyer, owner of Bill’s Radio and TV in Holyoke. The sale of the building is currently under contract, and Schiermeyer will officially enter retirement when the sale closes the first week of June.
    Senior athlete Logan Tharp was recently awarded the Touching Hearts Through Athletics Award. The award is given to an athlete who embodies being a team player, accepts academic responsibility and sportsmanship, shows opponents the upmost respect in victory or defeat, and is admired and appreciated by many.
    In an effort to get the Colorado representation issue on the ballot this November, local citizens have initiated a petition drive. At least 100,000 signatures across the state of Colorado are needed to meet the goal for the petition, with a deadline of Aug. 1.
    
Ten Years Ago — May 21, 2009
    HHS juniors Kyle Carper and Marissa Smith each earned two gold medals at last weekend’s 2A State Track & Field Championships. All seven Dragon participants medaled in the May 14-16 event at Jeffco Stadium in Lakewood.
    Elton Oltjenbruns was one of 134 WWII veterans who participated in the Honor Flight Northern Colorado trip to Washington, D.C., April 28-29.
    
Twenty-Five Years Ago — May 26, 1994
    After 35 years of teaching, with 26 years of service in the Holyoke schools, Jerrold Booher is retiring. He will be vacating the positions of activities director, high school baseball coach and elementary school physical education instructor.
    City Clerk/Treasurer Jackie Smith presented Holyoke City Council with a letter of resignation at a special meeting May 23. Her husband Dan has accepted a job promotion which will require relocating to Wyoming, and her last day of employment with the City will be July 15. Smith was hired as city treasurer trainee in November 1993, and in April she filled the newly combined clerk/treasurer position.
    A Macintosh LC 520 computer and software have been given to the Dragon’s Wagon Preschool in Holyoke. The computer was a gift from the Heginbotham Trust and Northeast Colorado BOCES.
    
Fifty Years Ago — May 22, 1969
    Tuesday, May 20, members of the Melissa Memorial Hospital staff voted to allow Myrlen Chesnut, doctor of osteopath, the use of the hospital facilities. Dr. Paul Gregory, local physician and surgeon, has enrolled the services of Dr. Chesnut, to become associated with him starting July 15.
    Mel Pfau was elected Colorado Jaycee state president at the Jaycee convention in Boulder.
    The Holyoke Junior High girls glee club received a superior performance, or I, at the music festival held in Wray on May 10. Forty-five seventh and eighth grade girls comprise the junior high girls glee club.
    
Seventy-Five Years Ago — May 25, 1944
    In a special meeting of the town board Monday night, the airport committee of the Lions Club and others presented a recommendation to the board for their consideration and action. A map of the proposed airport was used in explaining how runways could be located as recommended by Civil Aeronautics Commission as applied to the west half of the section lying directly east of the town of Holyoke. This half section of land, with the exception of 80 acres which is owned by the Town of Holyoke, is owned by the State of Colorado and is leased for farming purposes.
    Because of an abundant supply of lard, the War Food Administration has removed all restrictions regarding the use of lard in commercial bread making for the period of May 15-June 30.

Holyoke Enterprise

970-854-2811 (Phone)
970-854-2232 (Fax)

130 N Interocean Ave
PO Box 297
Holyoke CO 80734