Holyoke’s Chase Beckner sheds a blocker, throwing the Wray Eagle to the ground in the Oct. 12 game. — Johnson Publications

HHS football takes an early lead, doesn’t let up against Wray

    Friday, Oct. 12, marked both parents night and the last home game for the Holyoke High School football team, and the Dragons didn’t disappoint, beating the Wray Eagles 30-14.
    HHS got the scoring started with a punt, of all things. Caleb Deaver’s punt was fielded by the Wray returner near the 10-yard line, but in trying to escape Holyoke’s coverage team, he found himself all the way back in the end zone, where he was tackled for a safety. HHS took a 2-0 lead at the 8:40 mark and never gave Wray the chance to catch up.
    After Holyoke received the subsequent kickoff, Miles Sprague threw a touchdown pass to Blake Mosenteen. A good extra point by Alexis Vega took the score to 9-0 with 4:13 left in the first quarter.
    Wray’s offense finally got the ball and made it to the 11-yard line by the end of the quarter. The Eagles got their touchdown on a fourth-down passing play early in the second quarter but missed their PAT kick, leaving the score at 9-6.
    After exchanging punts, Holyoke was back in possession of the ball. Sprague made a long touchdown pass to Luis Chafino. The extra point gave the Dragons a 16-6 lead with just over 2 minutes left in the half.
    Wray’s offense was moving the ball, but with time ticking down, Michael Ramos broke up a pass as the half ended to keep the score at 16-6.
    The Eagles started the second half well with a good kickoff return taking them near midfield. However, the Dragons took back the momentum when Mosenteen intercepted a pass at the 8:44 mark. Holyoke put together a long drive featuring two long completions to Chafino and a big run by Slaten Burris. Unfortunately, a penalty stalled the drive, and it ended with a missed field goal attempt near the 25-yard line.
    The Dragon defense came up big again as Mosenteen intercepted another pass and returned it for a touchdown with 1:31 left in the third quarter. Vega’s extra point put HHS ahead 23-6.
    At that point, Hunter Bergstrom forced a fumble with a big hit on the kick returner. Joey Beckner recovered to give Holyoke the ball yet again. A long pass to Deaver gave the Dragons first and goal near the 5-yard line. Shortly after, a halfback pass from Mosenteen to Deaver got the home team into the end zone. The extra point was good, and HHS led 30-6 at the end of the quarter.
    Wray kept fighting for points through the fourth quarter. With 1:44 left on the clock, a touchdown run followed by 2-point conversion made the score 30-14.

The full article is available in our e-Edition. Click here to subscribe.

Holyoke Enterprise

970-854-2811 (Phone)
970-854-2232 (Fax)

130 N Interocean Ave
PO Box 297
Holyoke CO 80734