Holyoke Golf Club is pictured from the air in June, 1986. In the 1970s, an irrigation system was installed along with grass greens and bluegrass fairways. The land is located in the northeast part of Holyoke. — Source: Holyoke Golf Club
Holyoke Golf Club land acquired 75 years ago
Golf secured its place as a popular recreation activity in Holyoke 75 years ago, leading to years of fun — and frustration — for golfers in the area.
At its meeting Nov. 22, 1945, the town council unanimously voted to accept the land used as a golf course in the northeast part of Holyoke, provided it would be self-supporting.
The golf course became a municipal course in 1948, but this was not the beginning of golf in Phillips County.
According to “History of Phillips County, Colorado, Volume II,” Holyoke Golf Club was initially organized in 1923. Golfers leased land from W.E. Heginbotham two miles west of Holyoke on the pole road.
This course had nine holes and sand greens. Each member was responsible for building a green, and the original layout is unknown.
Greens were made by clearing an area of about 40 feet in diameter and filling it with 3-4 inches of sand brought in from the sandhills and mixed with used oil. The oil mitigated wind erosion and made it easier for golfers to level out sand for putting.
Each green had a 30-inch by 1 and 1/2-inch pipe with a 4-foot handle to be used for creating a smooth putting path. Rakes with roughly 100 30-penny nails driven through the heads were used to rake out the footprints and putting paths.
In 1929, Cora Shafer leased 129 acres of land in the northeast corner of Holyoke to the golf club, where it is located today.
The full article is available in our e-Edition. Click here to subscribe.