Hunting, fishing license will be required to access State Wildlife Areas

A valid hunting or fishing license will be required for everyone 18 or older attempting to access any State Wildlife Area or State Trust Land leased by Colorado Parks and Wildlife, beginning July 1.

The rule change was adopted unanimously April 30 by the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission.

“By policy, State Wildlife Areas are acquired with hunter and angler dollars, and are intended specifically to provide wildlife habitat and wildlife-related recreation,” southeast regional manager Brett Ackerman told the commission at its meeting. “This rule is aimed at curtailing non-wildlife-related use of these properties.”

At the meeting, Ackerman presented examples from across the state of the increasing use of State Wildlife Areas inconsistent with their purpose, including set up of temporary residences, vehicular use on big game winter range, vandalism and other uses detrimental to wildlife and wildlife-related uses.

The full article is available in our e-Edition. Click here to subscribe.

Holyoke Enterprise

970-854-2811 (Phone)

130 N Interocean Ave
PO Box 297
Holyoke CO 80734